Sydney Adventure Tours
Sydney City Tours
Blue Mountains Tours
South Coast Tours
Southern Highlands Tours
Sydney Winery Tours
The annual Vivid Sydney event is fast approaching, and sees Sydney transformed into a spectacular display of light, interactive art, music and performance. Here is a bit of an event summary as well as some local tips to help you enjoy the festival.
On the 24th of May the annual Vivid Sydney kicks off and Sydney and will once again dazzle multitudes of both locals and visitors who come to see the city undertake its annual transformation. The festival started in 2009 and has grown and developed since then to become one of the most popular events in the Sydney calendar, with more than 1 million people enjoying the spectacle over the 18 days that it runs.
The Vivid Sydney 2019 official event program looks very impressive and yet again the bar has ben raised with an impressive line up of speakers, musicians, performers and artists taking part. For those who have not experienced this spectacle before it is worth noting that while the outdoor light component of the festival is all free to enjoy, the other elements such as the majority of the music, film and speakers do have a cost and a limited number of tickets so you will need to to book tickets to avoid missing out.
“Vivid Light transforms Sydney into a wonderland of ‘light art’ sculptures, innovative light installations and grand-scale projections for all to enjoy – for free. It is a magical celebration of light-design excellence and the world’s largest outdoor ‘art-gallery’: a unique Vivid Sydney experience.”
If you are visiting Sydney during the festival or you are an agent sending clients our way then there a few local tips to keep in mind to help you enjoy the event. Before you go why not head to the iconic Opera Bar while the sun sets before heading off to enjoy the event. You could also book a table at one of the many restaurants that enjoy stunning harbour views such as Aria, Cafe Sydney or Quay.
1. The most important one is that this is a very popular event so can be very crowded at times, with lots of families enjoying the spectacle. So if you don’t like big crowds then avoid going on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night and go during the week instead. Being winter the sun is fully set by about 5pm so you can get out and enjoy the festival early.
2. Also the event does run even if it’s raining so if it’s the outdoor light installations you are seeing then be sure to carry an umbrella with you if the weather looks like it could be wet. If you are visiting from the northern hemisphere, remember is it is Winter in Sydney in June so it can be a little cold out after the sun goes down.
3. Another tip is to make sure that you get either a full program or download the free app so that you can be sure to see all of the areas that are covered. Many visitors just walk around the harbour without realising that the event continues more extensively through other precincts of the city.
4. Make sure you pre-book tickets to see some performances, hear some music or enjoy one of the many event speakers. Tickets are limited for many of the performances and speakers so be sure to book early to avoid missing out.
5. If you are a serious or budding photographer then make sure you either bring a tripod of rent one when you arrive. There is great opportunities for long shutter speed photos and having a tripod will open up a whole new world of possible shots. You might want to have a read of our night photography blog post to discover some great local vantage points to capture some amazing shots.
Vivid Sydney is a fabulous event and if you are lucky enough to be in Sydney while it is running then be sure to get out there and enjoy it. If you have any questions about Vivid or anything else then feel free to contact us via email on [email protected]
As local Sydney Tour Guides we are also available to deliver fully tailored Sydney private tours so let me know if we can help.